Saturday 12 October 2013

Dalek Disasters & Mushroom Making

So, I'm now coming to the end of our second teaching week here at DMU and honestly I still felt like I was really struggling getting to grips with using 3D modelling. Our first taster with 3D Studio Max was build a church; easy right ? It's all just rectangles and triangles ! I sailed happily through the church exercise, how could I ever have thought I would struggle with 3D work ? This was so fun ! Then things got complicated.



This was our next challenge. At first I was thrilled to see this guy, who doesn't love a bit of Doctor Who ? But when I started trying to create even the base of the model, I was stumped. There was so many complicated shapes, fiddly little bits, and parts I literally had no idea how to create the shapes of. Everybody seemed to be doing really well at this exercise - I pretty much fell flat on my face. By the end of week one, I was well and truly defeated. I hadn't manage to create anything that even remotely resembled a Dalek. Davros would be ashamed!

This was a pretty big wake up call for me; I had to get good at using this software, and - technically a week behind everyone else - I was going to have to get good fast. I decided that the best way to figure this out was to have a go at playing with the program outside of what we'd been told to do in class. I set myself a target of creating one thing of my choice and using that as my first stepping stone of getting to grips with 3D Studio Max.


click for larger images

I decided to embark on some mushroom making (I was inspired after seeing this article on the BBC News site) and for the most part, it was really fun. I didn't feel I struggled half as much with this as I did with the dreaded Dalek and I also managed to have a finished outcome at the end. While this probably seems pretty basic stuff to some, I definitely feel much more confident with my ability to use 3D techniques now - when we were set our new project I didn't feel daunted, I felt excited ! I guess everybody has to start somewhere. I've also manage to solve a lot of problems I had with the Dalek by doing this - if I get any time in the next week I will definitely be having another shot at him.

I've spent the past few days working on wheelie bin creating, working with textures and unwrapping. I'll be posting my progress and outcome here when I'm finished. I have to say I'm really pleased to finally feel like I'm getting some momentum in my learning experiences.    


No comments:

Post a Comment